New PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®: the informed sensations amplifier
PEUGEOT reveals its vision of tomorrow's driving environment as it introduces the latest PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®. Designed for an instinctive, safer and natural driving experience, this operational demonstrator is a preview of the brand's passenger cabin space on future models. With advanced ergonomics, head-up digital instrument display panel, interactive touchscreen, technology has never been so perfectly showcased. The study conducted by the Brand reviewed the experience of 2.2 million users of the current generation of the PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®, fitted on PEUGEOT 208, 2008 and 308 vehicles. The new PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® intensifies the driver's sensations and enables both driver and passengers to step into a new exciting and stimulating driving dimension, for a journey in which nearly all the senses are engaged, simultaneously.
PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®: an innovative cabin driving concept
Driving a PEUGEOT has always been an engaging experience. In terms of chassis and road holding, the Brand's expertise is now irrefutable. The driving dynamic sensations at the steering wheel make for a happy driver. In order to go even further in the essential search for driving pleasure, for several years now PEUGEOT has been profoundly rethinking the driving cabin environment in order to offer a superior automotive experience.
This research has led to an innovative interior layout, known as the PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®. It includes the following essential elements:
- A compact steering wheel that offers more agile manoeuvrability and improved driving sensation, turning the act of driving into an intuitive pleasure. With arms no longer needing to be so open and wide to grasp the steering wheel, the breadth of movement during manoeuvres is reduced, thus making the driver more responsive and agile, in a more relaxed driving position.
- A head-up instrument panel that displays all relevant information in front of the driver. The driver does not need to look away from the road and can fully concentrated on driving. This ergonomic position, made possible due to the compact proportions of the steering wheel, increasing driver comfort by reducing tiredness.
- A large touchscreen that intuitively displays all comfort controls (radio, air conditioning etc.) and offers natural control of all the vehicle's information and equipment.
The result is an incredibly streamlined, modern and technologically informing instrument panel. The near-lack of buttons, along with the choice of high-grade materials and high manufacturing quality, enhances the specificity of the PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® and increases driving pleasure, agility and driver concentration. A PEUGEOT's interior is now immediately recognisable, and amplifies desirablity to the Brand.
An unquestionable commercial success
In the past four years, this solid identifying signature has been rolled out on the Brand's three best-selling models, which this year all feature in the European top three of their respective segments:
- The 208, renewed and re-energised last year;
- The 2008, whose new version has just been revealed at the 2016 Geneva Motor Show;
- The 308, the Brand's overall best-seller.
Since 2012, over 2.2 million customers have enjoyed the characteristic PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®. All client surveys conducted in Europe and China agree: driving in a PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® vehicle is a rewarding and stimulating experience. The concept is now becoming known as the major distinctive feature of Peugeot's recent creations. Yet the Brand wants to go further still and explore new sensory concepts, so that driving a PEUGEOT really does become a unique, unforgettable, compelling and addictive experience.
A new generation high-tech PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®
The latest generation of exploration led the Brand to design a new generation of PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®, which benefits from technological advances that improve comfort and safety, and that engage all the senses of the vehicle's occupants.
The Brand's engineers and designers made it real in a veritable sculpture representing the front of a passenger compartment. The highly accomplished and perfectly functional new PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® retains all the existing codes, with a resolutely intuitive arrangement.
- The steering wheel is even more compact and re-designed to free up more of the driver's field of vision and leg space.
- The head-up instrumentation display is a 12.3’’ high-resolution digital screen with futuristic graphics. It is fully customisable, and displays everything the driver needs, within the field of vision. The aesthetics of each configuration are heightened by animations and transitions that are a pleasure to behold.
- The large 8’’ touchscreen is like a tablet set against the middle of the instrument panel, and comes with interactive technology for increased responsiveness and practicality when used.
All these features are rounded off by a centre console of high-end design. A set of elegant chromed toggle switches attract the driver and are pleasing on the eye, while their soft and metallic feel exudes high quality. This sensation continues with the very modern and ergonomic gear lever, which responds with light pushes.
Everything in this interior flatters the senses, exudes quality and introduces innovation. Be it the design of certain components in satin chrome, the figure-hugging seats, the design of the door panels, the audacious choice of materials, like the grey fabric, or the precision of assembly, the cabin is incredibly accomplished: a veritable invitation to futuristic driving pleasure!
Of course, this new PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® concept is compatible with the best technologies currently available on the market:
- 3D navigation, connected to voice recognition, with real-time traffic information from Tom Tom Traffic, and the possibility of transferring navigation and direction indications directly onto the head-up screen;
- Hands-free device with voice commands, automatic management of text messages (reading, sending);
- Information on a number of available driving aids;
- Connectivity due to the Mirror Screen function and the Apple CarPlayTM, Mirrorlink® and Android Auto technologies.
And it does not stop there... With instinctive driving featuring as one of PEUGEOT's core values, the new PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® pushes sensory experience even further. At the simple press of a button, nearly all senses are immediately engaged
- Sight, by playing on the intensity of lighting and the possibility of changing the inner chromatic atmosphere
- Hearing, with musical atmospheric settings
- Touch, with the seats offering multipoint massages and the buttons a delight to use
- Smell, with a fragrance diffuser
Two atmospheres are offered as standard to the occupants: "Boost", for dynamic driving, and "Relax", for a calmer driving experience. Both atmospheres are entirely customisable, making it possible to go beyond the driver's and passengers' pleasure and make their on-board experience unique, engaging and unforgettable.
The new PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® goes further in all fields. More quality in its presentation, more technology in its design, better connected, more intuitive, and taking excitement and personalisation even further: it is the embodiment of what future driving cabins will be, and the materialisation of tomorrows' PEUGEOT interior.